Reply To: Quotes

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Quotes Reply To: Quotes

joannavenneri
Participant

I'll assume we're using 1997 Formats. See Rule 12 Section 5b. In both cases, place this material either before or after the appropriate paragraph. Since marginal material is in 7-5, that is done here as well. In the case of the Robert E. Lee quotation, which is a simple paragraph, braille it in 7-5 preceded by a braille reference indicator. The Robert E. Lee attribution is in cell 9, 4 cells to the right of the beginning of the previous braille line.

In the case of the Whitman poem, I would again start with the braille reference indicator and braille each line as a separate paragraph, starting in cell 7. Use Rule 10 Section 1a(2)(b) for indentiona of poetic lines and runovers, only start lines at the margin in 7. Indented lines start at cell 9 and all runovers are in cell 11, two cells to the right of the furthest indented poetic line. The Whitman attribution is 4 cells to the right of the beginning of the previous braille line.

Whew! This type of material is handled differently in the new Formats guidelines. See Section 12 Sidebars. But don't use that here. Wait for a new transcription before using the new guidelines. I mention it here as something to look forward to.

--Joanna