3 Formatting Questions

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook 3 Formatting Questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    crichardson
    Participant

Hello,

We have 3 issues that began as innocent comments and now it's utter chaos. This is in regard to formatting a manuscript so it's very important.

1. Dividing symbols-sequences between lines. Lesson 20, page 20-3. The instructions use the term "symbols-sequences." Some people say we must adhere to the instructions and others say to apply the rule to hyphenated compound words only.
    2. The ISBN phrase on the title page. Can the phrase "Transcription of ISBN" be divided between lines?
    3. Dividing words between pages as in print. When the last word on the last line is divided, do we follow print or keep the whole word on one page or the next?
    4. Thank you,
    5. Candace Richardson (Don't have time to correct numbering)
    claurent

I apologize for the delay in answering.  I want to be sure I am giving correct information as relates to the literary course materials.

Cindi

claurent
    First let me say that I am not in any way involved in grading the NLS manuscripts for certification.  I asked the person who teaches the classes at our organization to weigh in on this as he is more familiar with the lessons than I am.  I cannot tell you exactly what to do here as that is, in essence, the point of doing a manuscript 🙂  However, here are some general thoughts.
    1. Dividing symbols-sequences between lines. Lesson 20, page 20-3. The instructions use the term “symbols-sequences.” Some people say we must adhere to the instructions and others say to apply the rule to hyphenated compound words only.
    — Lesson 20 §20.5 reads: "Start the first chapter on a new braille page, and do not divide symbols-sequences between lines unless they are too long to fit on one line.This simple instruction about not dividing symbols-sequences only applies to the trial manuscript and not necessarily to future transcribing.
    — In §20.12 Grading lists errors and points: "Incorrect division of symbols-sequence: 2" Symbols-sequences go space to space.
    — The directions for the division of hyphenated compound words precedes the Lesson 12 exercise: "When room permits, hyphenated-compound words may be divided between lines, but only following the hyphen." —the hyphen indicates the print hyphen. 
    — §20.5 is not overriding that option. Using the term "symbols-sequences" includes anything preceded and followed by spaces, but especially computer material studied in Lesson 14, §14.7. But the division of hyphenated compound words —per BF §1.10.1—is an agency decision. The agency making decisions for the trial manuscript is the NFB on behalf of the Library of Congress/NLS.
    2. The ISBN phrase on the title page. Can the phrase “Transcription of ISBN” be divided between lines?
    — Lesson 19, §19.2a(1)[g] paraphrases in simple language what is more accurately defined in BF §2.3.6f(3-6). "
    §19.2a(1)[g]:
    "ISBN is placed on the line immediately following the copyright and reproduction notices preceded by the words Transcription of. Follow print punctuation. 
    Example: Transcription of ISBN: 0-4583-6578-8
         Include both the 10- and 13-digit ISBNs on the braille title page if they occur in print. Braille the numbers on consecutive lines. Example:
    Transcription of
         ISBN-10: 0-4583-6578-8
         ISBN-13: 654-0-4583-6578-8"
    3. Dividing words between pages as in print. When the last word on the last line is divided, do we follow print or keep the whole word on one page or the next?
    —In NLS Lesson 17, §17.1d it quotes from Braille Formats: "If in print a word is divided between pages, divide the word in braille as in print [BF 1.10.1].
    Cindi
    crichardson
    Participant

Hi Cindi,

I mistakenly believed that the NBA, as a service to the NFB,  wrote the lesson manual as well as the Ask An Expert column as a resource for students and transcribers--a "final word on the matter."  Since reading your email, I have emailed the NFB to ask whom I should send our (million) questions to about the lessons. I'm sure that by now you've come across my additional questions and I can only apologize. Please don't take up your time to answer them as I will send them on to the NFB.

The division of symbols-sequences.  Our agency, if space allows, requires the transcriber to divide a hyphenated word at the end of a line after the hyphen. A student was counted off for that (after we stressed it all year). The comment was "Hyphenated Compound words on pages ...  should not be divided between lines. (UEB 10.13) (BF 1, 10) ." The compound hyphenated words were tight-knit, middle-class, second-generation, and dog-tired.  I'm completely baffled by the references. They didn't mention 20.5 which we were directed to in a previous inquiry when we were shocked by the comment.

On to the ISBN number. When I joined the NBA, I spent one Sat. night (because I don't have a life, LOL) printing Q&As that clarified issues for us.  In response to a question about dividing the ISBN phrase, Julie answered in #31152:  "There is no reason to divide 'Transcription of ISBN.'"  I printed this and gave copies to other transcribers, which caused disagreements, which led me to ask the column for confirmation. This was also the case for following print for divided words between pages. There were some who, even after I presented the page from Braille Formats, insisted that had changed since its publication. Agggg.

Again I apologize for sending questions to be clarified when they should be sent to the NFB.  I won't ask questions about the lessons anymore and thank you for your patience and assistance with ALL of my questions.

Candace Richardson

claurent

It's no problem and I wish I had better answers!  Wading through the lesson manual can be a daunting task and I know that working on manuscripts is very stressful.  Best of luck to all who are working towards certification.

Cindi

claurent

I got some more information from Jennifer Dunnam:

Question 1:  This phrase in the manual will be clarified; “compound words” can be divided on a manuscript [formats 1.1.10]

Question 2:  Formats indicates that the letters ISBN: should be kept on the line with the actual number. There is an example in NLS 19.2a(1)[g] showing the letters “ISBN” kept on the same line with “transcription of”. This is in error and will be fixed.

Question 3:   Follow print (NLS 17.1d, Formats 1.10.1)

For recent and future revisions to the NLS manual, be sure to check the “revision log” at http://www.nfb.org/transcribers under “literary braille transcribing” to be sure that you are working with the latest versions of the lessons.

Thanks for Jennifer for helping answer this question!

Cindi

crichardson
    Participant

Hi Cindi,

Thank you!

I ended up sending about 9 more questions to Jennifer Dunnam once I realized that it's the NFB who's in charge of the manual, etc.,  so we're eagerly waiting for her answers. Her answers will finally put an end to our "lively discussions" until someone spots something else, and then it's off to the races again, LOL.

Please let me know if you'd be interested in these questions and answers.

Candace Richardson

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.