Ancient Numeration Systems

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Ancient Numeration Systems

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am using the June 1988 Addendum on Ancient Numeration Systems. In an Enrichment section, I have some Egyptian hieroglyphs. The addendum is very clear, and I have used this material in the past.

But now I have a question. In sect 13, Format, we are asked to observe the 5-step rule for modified expressions. We are told that "the signs in the upper group are modified by the ones appearing under them." The examples show the SH (directly under) being used. In sect 14, Fractions, we are told that "the reciprocal sign is the basic sign being modified" and again the examples use the SH.

The text I am transcribing says something which I believe is different. "To write fractions, the symbol (picture given) was drawn over the whole number hieroglyph."

I believe I should be using the "directly OVER" form instead of the directly under.

Do I have any justification for doing this? TIA bt

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I think you must follow the format provided in the Ancient Numeration Systems addendum for the construction of the fractions, since it offers specific directions. Rather than change that format, perhaps it would be better to insert a tn explaining that in braille the upper symbol is given first followed by the whole number as shown beneath it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.