Be contraction

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Be contraction

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly Martin
    Participant

Hello Dan

Thanks for all your help and support.

Can i use the "be" contraction in the following words:

Betina
    Bezalei
    Bengalia
    Belize
    Belarus
    Thanks
    Kim
    Dan Gergen
    Participant
    Hello Kim,
    As you no doubt have studied UEB §10.6.1 and 10.6.2, you have learned that you use the lower groupsign for "be", "con" or "dis" when the letters it represents form the first syllable of a word and only used at the beginning of the word and followed by a letter or contraction.
         Some of the words you offered are challenging when attempting to determine what is the first syllable. It's important in these instances to have access to an up-to-date collegiate dictionary that shows syllables and pronunciations. I usually refer to merriam-webster.com.

Betina is an alternate spelling of Bettina (Hebrew): nickname of Elizabeth. With the alternate spelling of Bettina in mind, I would think the syllables would be: bet-i-na, so you should not use the "be" lower groupsign.

Bezalei is not in the dictionary, but I found a French pronunciation at howtopronounce.com that sounded like the syllables are: be-za-lei, so you could use the "be" lower sign. However, are you sure of the spelling? Could the word be "bezalel" and pronounced as be-za-lel? In either case, I think the "be" lower groupsign could be used.

Bengalia is not in the dictionary and unknown to howtoprounce.com. Again, could the spelling be "bengali" and pronounced ben-ga-li? I think in either case, "be" is not the entire first syllable and the lower groupsign should not be used.

Belize and Belarus are in the dictionary with "be" as the complete first syllable, so you should use the "be" groupsign in both names.

When you're stumped on a word, you can also google the word and look for pronunciation keys or video tutorials.
    Please let us know if you have any other questions.
    Dan Gergen
    Committee Chair
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Dan Gergen.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Dan Gergen.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.