blank line between stanzas

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook blank line between stanzas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

BF 2011 13.4.1 says "Do not insert a blank line if it isn’t clear there is a new stanza at the page break." Is this a mistake, or am I not understanding the intent of this statement? Surely you would want a blank line if it isn't clear that a new stanza has begun after a page break, as stated in 13.4.1c?

Lynnette
    Participant

13.4.1: Follow this guideline as written, we would not want to insert a stanza break where there is none. The page change provides the same information to the braille reader that the sighted person has when there is uncertainty about a stanza break.

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Oh, I see. I was indeed missing the point, which is: If you can't tell from the print whether or not a new stanza has begun, don't put a blank line there because that would make two stanzas when it might actually be only one. I was reading it as "If the braille isn't clear at the page break, don't insert a blank line to make it clear" which of course confounded me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.