Blank lines beginning a braille page

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Blank lines beginning a braille page

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    alohabraille

Hello,
    I am in need of your assistance please.
    I am not using a running head.
    I have 3/3 displayed material ending on line 25 and a 3/1 paragraph beginning the next braille page.
    Do I insert a blank line on line 1?

Thank you,
    Randy Davis

joannavenneri
    Participant

Yes, do add that blank line. That will tell the reader that the display is over and you're either back to main text or something else. That is especially necessary in this case because both types of text begin in cell 3.

--Joanna

alohabraille

Thank you.
    May I further ask:
    Is this same reasoning used when displayed material begins a braille page and there is text on line 25 of the previous page?
    I am very unclear on the use of blank lines and braille page transitions.

--Randy

joannavenneri
    Participant

Me too. Seriously. Displayed material has a blank line preceding. This announces to the reader that the nature of the text has changed. No problem with that when the displayed material begins on the same braille page. But if text ends on line 25, there's no space for the blank line except at the beginning of the next page.

I use that as my starting point. When I have a specific situation as I'm transcribing that I can't figure out, I look in Formats for information and hopefully, an example. I don't think there is an absolute unifying principle for this or even a hard and fast procedure for all cases. With situations like this I find it best to work on a case-by-case basis. And you're always welcome here.

--Joanna

alohabraille

I appreciate your quick and helpful replies.
    Shame on me if I come to you and the other experts if I have not attempted my own research.

Grateful,
    Randy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.