Boxes and Blank Lines

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Boxes and Blank Lines

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ricia2001
    Participant

Hello. I need some clarification please regarding blank line and boxes.
    In Braille Formats 2011, section 7.2.1 Boxes are preceded and followed by blank lines seems straight forward. Blank line before and after box lines.

Then section 7.2.1 f. Interior box lines do not have blank lines before or after the box line, I would think is be referring to boxes within boxes, since it says "interior".

Lastly, section 7.7.1 c. Insert a blank line before a top interior box line when it begins on any line other than immediately after the top exterior border and d. Insert a blank line after a bottom interior box line when it ends on any line other than immediately before the bottom exterior border. I read this section as saying that a blank line should be inserted before and after an interior box line unless it follows or precedes an exterior box line.

Section 7.2.1 f. above seems to contradict the other sections I have cited. Please tell me where it is I seem to get derailed.

Thanks so much in advance.
    Patty

ricia2001
    Participant

I think what you are identifying as a CONTRADICTION is actually an EXCEPTION. The navigation here is little bit tricky.

The basic provision is laid out FIRST in 7.2.1. A box is preceded and followed by blank lines. Next in 7.2.1f Interior box lines do not have blank lines, BEFORE OR AFTER THE BOX LINE. Before of after the box line ONLY. It does not address blank lines before or after other text, but ONLY before or after the box line. This is consistent with 7.2.1c and d above that states that there is no blank line follwoing a top box line or preceding a bottom box line. This means that there is NEVER such a blank line for any reason. This point is emphasized by repeating it in the case of interior box lines that happen to follow right after the top box line or right before the bottom box line.

THEN, we journey over to 7.7 Boxes within Boxes, which makes quite clear that this is going to be about interior box lines. 7.7.1 itself states that boxes within boxes are [u]"transcribed in a different mannner than regular boxes."[/u] And THEN we get to 7.7.1c Insert a blank line before a top interior box line WHEN (and ONLY WHEN) it begins on any other line than immediately after the topy exerior border and d. covers the bottom interior box line in the same way. Look at the accompaying examples. The blank line is inserted ONLY when the interior box falls in between text that it in the box, away from the exterior box lines of the main box.

I found that looking at the examples helped me to understand this. Please let us know if you're still stuck.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Joanna,
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. And yes. I see where I was misinterpreting the rules.

7.2.1 f. Interior box lines do not have blank lines before or after the box line where I got stuck was on the wording "after the box line". I was reading it as "interior box lines do not have blank lines before or after the (interior) box line". I understand now that it means "interior box lines do not have blank lines before or after the (exterior) box line". Which as you said totally agrees with the examples, which means I now understand!! Yea!!!!
    Again, thanks so much for all you do.
    Patty

joannavenneri
    Participant

So glad to help. Your readers will benefit because you take such care with your braille.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.