Boxing Lines in Tactile Graphics

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Boxing Lines in Tactile Graphics

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    susierc
    Participant

Do you include boxing lines in tactile graphics? I cannot find any rule about it.
    Thanks,
    Susie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    betty.marshall
    Participant

Please see Unit 2, 2.6 of the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics and Unit 3, 3.7.2. Often a tactile graphic is on a page by itself which provides a natural separation from the rest of text. I think it may differ from one situation to another, but generally we need every available line on a tactile page for the tactile itself. My own personal opinion is that I don't think that box lines are necessary in most instances.
    Betty

betty.marshall
    Participant

Thanks, Betty.

susierc
    Participant

There's still questions in my local group about the boxing lines. I've attached an example of what's troubling some people. The boxed material has both a good amount of text as well as the graphic. The braillist has been using boxing lines around all boxed text. She likes to be consistent so she thinks she should box all graphics that have boxes in print. Should the boxing lines still be ignored in this example? Sorry I wasn't clearer in my original question.

susierc
    Participant

Consistency is important to the reader, too. If the transcriber has been using box lines for the material prior to this point in the transcription, she should continue to do so. For the print graphic you attached, an open box line would be followed by the centered heading and then a blank line. I would then move the description of the prokaryotic cell [u]above[/u] a simplified version of that cell illustration (with a blank line between the text and the graphic). The tactile would be followed by a another blank line and the descriptive text for the eukaryotic cell, a blank line, and a simplified version of that cell. You would then need another blank line before the closing box line. Guidelines and Standards 5.1.2 requires a blank line before and after a graphic, even though Braille Formats would say that you cannot have one before a closing box line. It is doubtful whether all of this information would fit on one tactile graphic page, even with simplified graphics, so I would probably place the title and left side of the print graphic on the first page, followed by the right side of the print graphic on the next page. The closing box line would therefore be on the 2nd page.
    Please note that there do not seem to be any examples in Guidelines and Standards where boxing lines are used. Please refer to the Counting Symbols example on page
    6-62 through 6-64 where it could have been argued that boxing lines should be used. However, two of the key points made in Guidelines and Standards are to simplify, and reduce clutter.

Betty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.