Braille Code for Chemical Notation – Where is it?

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Braille Code for Chemical Notation – Where is it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    brlbyrussell
    Participant

Hi All,  The "Provisional Guidance for Chemistry Notation ..." says to use the Braille Code for Chemical Notation.  Where does one get a print copy of this Chemistry Code?  The brf of the code book is available from BANA, but back translating into print is proving ... tricky.  Is there a pdf available?

kdejute

Good question.

The source I can recommend is to order a hard copy from APH: Braille Code for Chemical Notation, 1997 American Printing House for the Blind catalog #7-16900-00. I do not know of a source for a PDF.

–Kyle

Kaari
    Participant

I can help a bit with this one. I've tried ordering the code book from APH, and it's no longer available, partly because of the switchover to UEB. However, I have found some help available online. There's a series of online classes put out by brl.org that has the Chemistry Code included. It seems to be mostly the text, without all the examples. You can at least use this to look up example numbers in the brl file that BANA has.  http://www.brl.org/chemistry/index.html

Some of the Code doesn't seem to be used as much anymore: molecular diagrams are recommended to be done as tactile diagrams when possible. There was a good and very helpful article in the Bulletin that covered them, but I can't find it at the moment. Kyle would know. (The graphic slate from APH is fantastic for drawing lines for molecules, btw.)

Hope this is useful!

Kaari
    Participant

Found it! The Winter 2016-17 Bulletin, page 24: "What's New with the Chemistry Code".

kdejute

Good points and contributions, Kaari. Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.