calculator keys

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science calculator keys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Hello,
    Please see the attached document in the right hand column. These keys are not enclosed within a shape, so according to Section 111d, I do not believe I can use the keystroke indicator (ed)k to enclose these keys. So, what would you suggest I use to indicate the keys that are listed?
    Thank you very much!
    Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Hello, again,
    I think I found part of my answer to my question after doing a bit more researching--I will just use standard Nemeth code for the hotkeys. But here is a more specific question regarding the same attachment. On the right-hand column, if you down to the bottom third, there are key sequences starting with CTRL, and then + another key. Since CTRL could be thought of as an abbreviation, should I leave a space before the the + sign? Thank you so much, and I apologize my first post was so general.
    Susan

betty.marshall
    Participant

Hi Susan
    When I initially looked at your attachment, I immediately thought of Computer Braille Code. Upon further thought, I agree you would not use the calculator key symbol, and that you could continue in Nemeth Code. I would not use contractions for the items in the 2nd coloumn. It is my opinion that it would be obvious to the reader (from the context) what is meant by CTRL and follow the same format as the other entries with the plus sign unspaced. I'm sorry that I cannot point you to a specific rule that confirms this.
    If these are used often throughout a chapter, at the first occurance you could insert a transcriber's note explaining how you are handling them in braille.
    Betty

Susan Baker
    Participant

Thank you!
    Susan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.