Calculator problems

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Calculator problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lynnette
    Participant

I have a 5th grade math book with instructions for using a calculator. Attached is a copy of the print page. Any suggestions for doing the example and problems 1 and 2 would be appreciated. Technical guidelines suggested underlining the commands but underlining and double underlining is used in the example.

kdejute

Lynnette, I'm afraid your attachment did not come through. Could you try again? (If it still does not show up, it may need to be compressed in order to meet the Ask an Expert file size limits.)

kdejute

In case it is helpful, below are some thoughts on transcribing calculator material using UEB.

• As you say, GTM 3.5 advises us to use the underline indicator and a transcriber's note instead of the shape enclosure indicators that are covered in GTM 14.3.
    • When underlining is used in the surrounding text, perhaps a transcriber-defined typeform may be useful (Rules of UEB section 9).
    • You *could* transcribe commands and symbols enclosed in shapes.

"Experimental" transcriptions are in the attached files.

What do you think?

–Kyle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lynnette
    Participant

Sorry, things got crazy here with my son in the hospital. Here is the file.

Lynnette

Attachments:
    kdejute

Lynette,

I am so sorry to hear that!

As for the calculator examples you shared, it looks like square shapes will work very nicely for the "keycharts." I am not sure what to recommend for print's empty double low line. Maybe the visible space (⠬ dots 346) with the transcriber-defined typeform you've used for the double underline applied to it?

That would have the first example keychart and the first empty keychart looking something like this:

⠸⠆⠼⠃⠚⠀⠰⠫⠼⠙⠪⠐⠦⠀⠸⠆⠼⠉⠚⠀⠰⠫⠼⠙⠪⠐⠶⠀⠰⠫⠼⠙⠪⠐⠌

⠀⠀⠸⠆⠼⠋⠚⠀⠰⠫⠼⠙⠪⠐⠶⠀⠈⠼⠆⠼⠁⠚

⠨⠤⠀⠰⠫⠼⠙⠀⠨⠤⠀⠰⠫⠼⠙⠀⠰⠫⠼⠙⠀⠨⠤⠀⠰⠫⠼⠙⠀⠈⠼⠆⠬

There may be an argument to be made for using the underline tyepform with a visible space instead of the underscores.

What do you think of all that?

–Kyle

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.