cancellation and regrouping

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science cancellation and regrouping

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Good morning,
    I am not sure how to present the regrouped 3 (becoming 13) in the number 634 in the problem I have arrowed. The 3 does not have a line striking it out like the 6 does; however, it seems like in theory the 3 is being cancelled to become the 13. Would I put the cancellation indicators around the 3 and just treat it as though it were? I could not find how to treat regrouping like this in the Nemeth Code book. Thank you in advance for your help!
    Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Good day! I apologize for my delayed response.

I think you're right that the clearest way to represent in braille what's being shown in print is to enclose the 3 in cancellation indicators and place "13" above that line as the value replacing the 3.

I would suggest that you include a note on the Transcriber's Notes page explaining that in print regrouping is represented by a little number "one" at the top left of a number that's being replaced.

My understanding is that regrouping shown as it is in your textbook is not covered in the Nemeth Code book, because representing regrouping in this visually appealing/spatial manner in print is a fairly recent development in the publishing industry.

–Kyle
    edited by Kyle Transcriber on 6/10/2015

kdejute

Thank you so much!
    Susan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.