Carets in division problems

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Carets in division problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

The 2007 BANA update for Nemeth section 180 states: "However, when the division arrangement contains only a divisor and dividend with or without decimal points and/or commas, but no quotient and no partial products and differences, the separation line, whether shown above or below the dividend, must be omitted. In this case, the division must not be regarded as spatial."

I bolded the updated section in the quote above. The new examples given are illustrative, except that with the new addition being more specific, if we have one or more carets added to the division problem, is it now regarded as spatial, because carets are not numbers or decimal points or commas? There are no examples with carets, so I am not sure whether carets make the division problem spatial.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

sorry, I left out "composed entirely of numerals". Maybe this answers the question, but it would be nice to have an example.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

If there is anything present in the division problem besides numbers, decimal points and commas, the division problem would be spatial.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.