Cartesian Graphs for a Tiger Embosser

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Cartesian Graphs for a Tiger Embosser

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lynda
    Spectator

I am attempting to create cartesian graphs using MS Publisher. I've gone through each of the BANA Guidelines and Standards for creating graphs and our tiger embosser isn't handling it well.

The 2.5 pt solid lines for the X and Y axis cuts through the paper and 1.5 pt dotted grid lines will not register (the tiger often ignores it). It also seems impossible to get numbers embossed along the axes of a 4-quadrant graph without completely whiting out the area behind the numbers.

What adjustments should/can I be making in order to emboss a workable graph with a tiger? I am stumped. If someone can share an example of a basic grid that my tiger can emboss, I'd greatly appreciate it!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Lynda. Reason: subscribing for email follow-ups
    betty.marshall
    Participant

I haven't heard of anyone else using MS Publisher to emboss on the Tiger. I know that some people use Microsoft Word and others use Adobe Illustrator. Personally, I use CorelDRAW.
    There are just so many variables that could be causing your difficulty!! If your solid 2.5 lines is black, you could try using a gray color, which will not emboss as high.
    I suggest that you try out a sample of page of just lines. Make them various thicknesses, and vary the color from black to several shade of gray and emboss it to see how that works. Generally, you will have to do the same thing (on a different page) with texture samples to see how the embosser handles them as well. I really am not familiar with the settings that are available in Publisher.
    You should have white space behind the numbers if they are situated on top of the background grid. Are you using the Braille29 font at 29 pt size for the braille labels? That is essential when using the Tiger.
    Hopefully if anyone else has experience with Publisher, they will post something that may be of help to you. You could also
    Keep trying. Good luck!
    Betty

Lynda
    Spectator

The fonts are not a problem, it's the grid and axis lines. Even with CorelDRAW generated graphs (via Tactile Macros), the tiger will emboss one line instead of another in the case of certain intersections. I just need to know what a working one looks like and I can adjust from there.

betty.marshall
    Participant

Sorry! ...  I meant to say that you could contact ViewPlus (the company that distributes the Tiger embossers) for help.

We also have ViewPlus doing a presentation at our NBA fall conference in St Louis.  If you are attending the conference, be sure to sign up for their session!

Betty

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.