Chapter 1 ends in Vol. 1 on print page 30 continue

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Chapter 1 ends in Vol. 1 on print page 30 continue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Celeste
    Participant

When volume ends in the middle of a chapter or unit, does the next volume have a "cont." chapter or unit heading on the first page of text? For Example - Chapter 1 ends in Vol. 1 on print page 30. In Vol. 2 Chapter 1 continues on print page 31. On the first page of text do we center the heading - Chapter 1 (Cont.)? We are referencing Literary Rule 19.6 (Chapter Titles) 4th paragraph We know on the T.O.C. page we insert cont. followed by the appropriate page number. I would appreciate clarification as we are currently divided on this matter.............Thank you.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I need some clarification here. This is a textbook. Which rules are you using? You refer to Literary Rule 19. Are you referring to the NLS Braille Instruction manual? I was expecting to see Braille Formats as your reference. Please help me by explaining your reasoning here.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Celeste is a prisoner at Mt. View, she is relaying messages. She said YES they are using NLS Braille Instruction manual 2009. They could not find the answer in Braille formates.

Celeste
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification. Formats does not specifically say what to do on the first page of text in the new volume. You are correct--on the contents page itself in Vol. 2, insert cont. after the Chapter 1 entry. Most transcribers also insert (cont.) after the chapter heading on the first page of text in the new volume as well. I agree with that, and that is my suggestion for this question.

Reminder--the NEW 2011 Formats Guidelines is available for free download from the BANA website. http://www.brailleauthority.org

It is optional to use the new guidelines now for new transcriptions only. You may continue to use the old guidelines at this time if you wish. After Jan. 1, 2013,it is REQUIRED to use the new guidelines for any transcription srarted after that date.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.