Chemistry elements

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Chemistry elements

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Janie Bont
    Participant

I have noticed that the translation of chemical notation into UEB through the Duxbury program puts in the capital passage and termination indicators instead of capitalizing each element. Plus it also puts in contractions like the ch contraction.

eg. ClCH2CH2SCH2CH2Cl(l) translates as ,cl,,*;5#b,,,ch5#bsch5#b;ch,'5#b,cl"<l">

CHClBr2 translates as ,,*c,'l,br;5#b

CHFCl2(g) translates as ,,*fc,'l#b "<;g">

I hope someone can follow the ASCII characters to see what I mean as I can't figure out how to activate the sim braille button. My understanding of chemistry UEB braille is that each capital letter in a compound should be capitalized separately. I think is is confusing when capital passage and termination indicators are placed in the middle of a compound. Also, I believe that contractions are not allowed. I can fix that by putting in a grade one code through the BANA template. Can anyone shed light on this for me. The ICEB for Technical UEB states: Letters
    representing chemical elements should never be contracted, but the translation program doesn't have that coded into it. I can change the font to braille in print and then Duxbury won't do any contractions. Maybe that is how I need to do all chemical notation? Any ideas? I discovered that the ASCII was converted to Sim Braille once I posted this question so I have edited this post and highlighted the other compounds and clicked on the braille button. Hopefully the compounds will all show up in Sim Braille now.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Janie Bont. Reason: I discovered that the ASCII was converted to Sim Braille once I posted this question so I have edited this post and highlighted the other compounds and clicked on the braille button. Hopefully the compounds will all show up in Sim Braille now
    kdejute

Janie,

Thank you for the question. You are right that when transcribing Chemistry, each capital letter in a chemical formula should be capitalized separately.

You are also right that contractions should not be used in chemical formulas.

Now, how do we convince Duxbury to do that? Good question.

Yes, you can use ExactTranslation to change the font to braille in print and essentially tell the program exactly what cells to use. You could also perhaps use the techniques employed in the attached DOCX file.

Also attached are an image of the print and braille we are talking about and a BRF of the braille.

Again, thank you for the question. Please post again if you have follow-up questions or concerns.

–Kyle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.