closing box lines that fall on braille line 25

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook closing box lines that fall on braille line 25

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

If the closing box line lands on braille line 25 is line one of the continuation page left blank? If the closing box line lands on braille line 25 and the next braille page is also a new print page, is line one left blank?

joannavenneri
    Participant

Yes and yes.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

1) Is this still the case? I'm troubled by how wonky it looks to have line 1 left blank.

2) Is it also true that if a list ends on line 25 that line 1 of the next braille page should be left blank, even if the list is the last item on a print page?

3) How about if a box or a list ends on line 24 of a braille page? Can there be braille on line 1 of the next page in that case?

Oh, dear; I'm wringing my hands over this blank line business. Thank you in advance for your support.

–Kyle

joannavenneri
    Participant

I have an answer, but I'm conferring first to confirm. Hang on!

--Joanna

kdejute

Thanks for your patience.

Yes it's all still the case. When there is no running it may indeed look strange when line 1 is blank. But the information that conveys to the braille reader is much more important than how looks. The purpose of blank lines for the braille reader is not appearance, but to provide information about changes in formatting or context WHEREVER such a change takes place. The information is given to the reader at the location where it takes places place or goes into effect.

if there's no RH, line 1 can be blank. Blank line required after closing box. If the closing box line is on line 25, the next available line to be blank is line 1 on the next page because box lines are preceded and followed by a blank line, with the exception of certain headings, but that doesn't apply here.

Lists work in a similiar way, with specific provisions. See Formats 8.3.4

BF 8.3.4. Lists Starting at the Top of Braille Pages
    A list can start on line 1 when a running head is not used, [u]if there are two or more blank lines at the bottom of the previous page.[/u] Start the list on line 2 when [u]braille is on the last, or next-to-last line of the previous page.[/u] (I have added the bold and the underlining.)

So if your list ends on line 24 OR line 25, line 1 is blank on the next page. Notice that this guideline about lists specifies when braille must start on line 1 of the next page and when braille must start on line 2 (leaving line 1 blank).

And yes it looks funny. But when you get used to it, it looks better.

--Joanna

kdejute

Joanna,

Here is a belated "thank you" for your illuminating answer!

–Kyle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.