Columns, Tables & Boxes

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Columns, Tables & Boxes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am currently working on a 5th Grade Mathematics Workbook. There is some "columned" material, a few "tables" and also some "boxed" items included. Although I know that nothing in Braille is "Black-and-White", I am hoping you will give me some current guidelines. There seems to be contradicting rules and recommendations between Braille Formats, NBA Workshop reprints, etc.

1 - Are top and bottom boxing lines supposed to be used for all columned material, tables, and boxed items if there are boxes are shown in print?
    2 - Margins: Columned Material should begin at the left margin (cell 1) per Formats Rule 7 Sec. 1, e, 2. Correct??
    Tables also begin in celll 1 per Formats Rule 8 Sec. 7, a. Correct??

Part of my confusion with margins is that in the Mathematics Tables Workshop Print Copy 1996, it states and shows in various examples that the margins for both columned material and tables should be at the margin in effect. Therefore if it is a table within itemized material with subdivisions, the margin would be cell 5??
    I am truly hoping you can help me better understand how these items should be formatted.

Thanks so much in advance.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

The Nemeth Code doesn't deal with tables, etc. except to say that we look to Braille Formats for that. You are correct that columns and tables begin in cell 1. It doesn't matter if they are in subdivisions or main items. According to Braille Formats, if material is shown in a box or on a shaded background in print, it should be boxed in braille.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am now feeling confident that I have been brailling these items correctly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.