Confused with the differences

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Confused with the differences

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Ok, so I am looking deeper into what formatting to use for my exercises.
    I have main numbered exercise questions whith sub-divisions (I'm guessing this is what they are called) and also lettered answer choices.

I have attached an example hopefully it comes through clearly.

Thank you

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello. The formatting in your example did not come through properly. Can you scan the page and attach it as a PDF file or some other kind of image file that will not change the look of the page? Then I can respond. Thanks.

Lindy Walton

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Yes, sorry I do not have the capability at my desk, had to switch desks.

Here you go:

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

This is not the same problem you first posted, but here goes... Question 9 is straighforward; question 8 requires some creative thinking.

QUESTION 8: Since bulleted lists are not mentioned in the Nemeth code, we go to Braille Formats for direction. Following BF Rule 7.2, I would list the three bulleted items in 1/3 with a blank line before and after the entire list. I would extract the final question from the third bulleted item since it really does not belong there.
    So, you will have "8) Pat, Nick, ... or roast beef." in 1/5, one blank line preceding the list, each of the three bulleted sentences listed in 1/3, one blank line following the list, then continue with the question "Which of the following ..." as a continuation of the 1/5 narrative, i.e., 5/5 OR as a new paragraph in 7/5.
    Subitems: I find no rule to apply to having a list as an answer choice, so I think it is clearest if you put each subitem letter A) through D) in cell 3 and list the three boys on the next three lines, each beginning in cell 5. This means the four answer choices will take up 16 lines. Braille Formats rule 13.6.b advises to keep all answer choices together on the same braille page. I would do so here.

QUESTION 9 shows a 1/5 question, a displayed expression (next line, cell 7) and four lettered answer choices (each beginning in cell 3). This is standard Nemeth format.

--Lindy Walton

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you very much. I appreciate your advice and time.

Lindy Walton

Ok, so I am trying to understand this better and I appologize ahead of time for my ignorance.
    If you have numbered questions with no answer choices I am supposed to set them at starting cell 1 with runovers in cell 3. If I have exercises or questions with sub-divisions or what I would consider (another section of the question)with answer choices the first question would be set start cell 1 with runover in cell 5, the sub-division is set start cell 3 with runover in cell 7.

My confusion besides all of this 😉 is don't we set the answer choices in 3-7 also? Please advise and I am so very thankful for your patience and help.

Lindy Walton

[quote=tjensen]Ok, so I am trying to understand this better and I appologize ahead of time for my ignorance.
    If you have numbered questions with no answer choices I am supposed to set them at starting cell 1 with runovers in cell 3. If I have exercises or questions with sub-divisions or what I would consider (another section of the question)with answer choices the first question would be set start cell 1 with runover in cell 5, the sub-division is set start cell 3 with runover in cell 7.

My confusion besides all of this 😉 is don't we set the answer choices in 3-7 also? Please advise and I am so very thankful for your patience and help.[/quote]

I am not sure if anyone is working or has posted an anwer to my 2nd question above?
    Thank you for your advice
    from "Still Confused" 😉

betty.marshall
    Participant

In literary braille the format would be 1/5 for the question with 3/7 for the answer choices, but this is math for which we use the Nemeth code. For a question with subdivisions (in this case, numbered answer choices), the format for the question is 1/5 and for the subdivisions (no matter what the level they are indented in print) are in 3/5. See pg 195 of the Nemeth Code book, Rule XXV Section 191 b.

I hope that by reading this section of the code book, this will be clarified.

Betty

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.