Correct way to underline a polynomial

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Correct way to underline a polynomial

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have the expression 3x^2 that needs to be underlined. I assume I use the 5-step rule:
    First the multipurpose indicator, then the expression that needs underlining, then the Directly Under symbol, then the bar, and then the termination indicator.

My question is: Since the expression to be underlined ends in a superscript, do I use the dot 5 to bring it back to the baseline before I use the Directly Under indicator (or do I not need that dot 5 baseline indicator here)?

I will attach a file of the expression showing the parts that needs underlining. Thanks so much for your help.
    edited by psnys on 8/18/2011

dworthing
    Participant

It would help me to answer your question if I knew (from context) what the purpose is for the underlining. Would you be able to attach the complete page or question, rather than just the expression?
    Thank you.

Betty

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

It turns out the underlining was used to help recognize like terms. I will attach an example in context. It uses single underlining to show one set of like terms and double underlining to show another set of like terms. I wondered how I should show this in the braille.
    Thanks.
    edited by psnys on 9/8/2011
    edited by psnys on 9/8/2011

betty.marshall
    Participant

If you don't use the baseline indicator to bring the expression back to the baseline, your braille would indicate that the underlining is at the superscript level. Your modification doesn't end with that dot 5 -- it ends only with the termination indicator.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.