Credits

Home Forums Foreign Language Credits

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

The only English in this book is on the title page. The attached paragraph is from the title page. Do I use contracted braille with the English? Do I use the Spanish accented letters in the book titles and author's names and use uncontracted braille? If so, then the by before an author's name would not be contracted.

Thank you for your help with all these questions!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

This does fall in the cracks a bit. See Section 2 of the Interim Manual. This is a domestic publication and contracted English is used for the braille title page, although this material doesn't have anything to do with the title page. This material appears to be Acknowledgements and Braille Formats rules would apply. Please see Rule 1, section 18a (2) for placement in braille. Since this is information ABOUT the book, it is considered English. Use contracted English and keep the italics and for the Spanish. Braille the Spanish with the Spanish accented letters and no contraction. The italics will signal the language. This is done the same way as title pages and the table of contents as explained in Section 2 of the Interim Manual.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

This is from another book in the same series. The italics show book titles, not a change of language. Should I use contracted English braille? Should the book titles that are in Spanish be brailled uncontracted with the Spanish accented letters or uncontracted with the accent symbol? How should the Spanish authors' names be brailled? The Spanish publishers? Do I join the word by to the Spanisher authors and publishers?

This is really confusing.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I'm sorry--I don't understand what you are asking. This is not a page that would be transcribed directly, I don't think. Photo credits are not included in a braille transcription. Are you asking about the braille title page? Or something else?

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

The large paragraph is the publisher's acknowledgment of permission received for the use of materials from different sources. (There are no photo credits listed.) It is inside the front cover of the book, so will be placed at the end of the last volume.

All of the titles are in Spanish. The authors and publishers are foreign.

Do I use uncontracted braille and Spanish accented letters in the titles? In the authors' names? In the foreign publishers' names?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Sorry, I read through the print quickly and saw several references to illustrations and so forth. This falls into a gray area just the same and I have conferred with colleagues on it. First, this material is NOT usually included in a foreign language transcription. It is not mentioned in the Interim Manual. However, if it is included, consider that this is basically English and therefore considered in English context. Braille this as English, using dot 4 accent indicators for all the accented letters. Retain the emphasis as in print for the Spanish titles. No emphasis for the authors because there is none in print. Contractions should be used appropriately in accord with the rules for foreign language proper nouns in the English context. Use dot 4 for all the accents and don't forget to list the dot 4 as a special symbol.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you so much!! I am going to happily omit it. 🙂

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Well, then, THAT was easy. If I may, you are courageously doing foreign language. You have enough to worry about. I do not include this sort of thing in my own FL transcribing, but I wanted to be sure it's really OK to leave it out. It is!

--Joanna

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.