Danish words

Home Forums Foreign Language Danish words

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have three lines of Danish words to transcribe. There are regular o's and o's with a slash through them. The o's with slashes actually look like the uncapitalized Greek letter phi. The internet says this is a vowel. How do I transcribe it?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I need to see the context of the Danish words in order to know whether or not to apply foreign language braille rules to the accented letters. Is the rest of the text English? Can you send a page that has these words?

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

It is a religious text--English with this Danish prayer. Have attached the prayer and surrounding text.
    Thanks in advance, Jacquie

joannavenneri
    Participant

When you said it was a religious text, I thought you meant the whole book was religious text with translated material. Again, the context is what decides whether foreign language rules are used here and I'm still not totally clear on the context. Is this the only instance of the Danish? The nature of the book itself is what determines the context. If the narrative is English and this Danish material is just there as part of the narrative, as it appears to be in this case, this is considered English context. The Danish is uncontracted and the accented letters are preceded by dot 4. Foreign language rules would apply only if this material was actually translated and/or the reader needs to know the actual Danish and so forth. Foreign language rules usually apply in instructional material that is instructing in a foreign language with English instructions and other English material.

Based on the sample you have sent, this is English context material and I would not use foreign language rules. However, if you decide otherwise. the Danish alphabet symbols must be listed as special symbols. The Danish is uncontracted.

They are:

[braille]> æ a-e ligature
    [braille][ ø o slashed
    [braille]* å a overring

But again, in this context, I think you can just use the dot 4 accent indicator.

Thank you for sending the print page. It was very helpful.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.