Dash connected to double dash

Home Forums Foreign Language Dash connected to double dash

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

A sentence starts with a dash to fill in. It is dialogue, so the sentence starts with a dash showing dialogue.

--______ puedes felicitar a ti mismo-- dijo Marcos.

How would you braille this?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks for this great question. It is not covered in the Interim Manual, but it is covered in the new rules that have not yet been adopted by BANA. Because there is no current rule on this, we are authorized to use this new rule with the understanding that it might be different in the final adoption. Your transcription is considered correct at the time it was transcribed, so don't worry about it.

For that beginning dash, which indicates the beginning of a dialog, use the compound hyphen (25, 25) and follow it unspaced with the double dash (36, 36, 36, 36) for the blank to be filled in.

[braille]33---- puedes

List the compound hyphen as a special symbol. You don't have to explain the usage, but just list it. The reader will see how it's used in proximity to the dash.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Would this also apply if the inverted ? or ! came between the dialogue dash and the blank or should the ordinary dash be used??

--?______ puedes ...

joannavenneri
    Participant

Do you have actual print that shows that? It would seem to me that the question mark would before BEFORE the opening quote dash. I would like to see print that shows this.

If the question mark comes first, which I think it would in most cases if the dialog starts with a question, follow print order. Question mark compound hyphen double dash.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Here is one with the exclamation mark.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Well look at that and right you are. I would just follow print here. Compound hyphen for the opening quote puncutation double dash for missing word.

[braille]336---- puso otro

--Joanna

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.