Diagram heading labels and marginal notes

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Diagram heading labels and marginal notes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Good morning,
    I'm not sure whether I should post this under the tactile graphics forum or math and science forum since there is some of both--let me know if you want me to repost in TG. I am transcribing a science test with the attached diagram. Two things are stumping me and I would sure be happy for any guidance you can give me.

1. For the headings at the bottom of the diagram (Temperature and Color), would you include both of them in braille with a format similar to print, or would you do two separate diagrams with Temperature for one diagram's label and Color for the second? I think they want to make the comparison between the color and the temperature, but I worry about over-cluttering this in tactual form.

2. To the right of the diagram is the text starting with: Luminosity is the brightness ... . Would I be correct in thinking this is unmarked marginal notes that should be begun using the general reference indicator (Nemeth Rule VII, sec 46)? If not, what category would they fall into? For placement, do I follow the Guidelines in Section 16.6.1 (I know this is not really a table, but it seemed the closest to this situation) and place the note in 7/5?

Thanks for your help!
    Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi Susan. Yes, I see the luminosity definition as an unmarked marginal note that should go with the first occurrence of the word, in the instructions at the top of the page. I see nothing wrong with placing it after the instructions--in 7-5--since it applies to five questions which follow.

The color scale printed below the temperature label is associated with the temperature scale, so I would not remove it from its printed location. I see no benefit to making two diagrams since the data would be the same in both diagrams. This is going to be a busy drawing! Let me know if I'm not seeing something you are seeing.

Lindy Walton

Thank you for your guidance. That makes sense about not splitting up diagram into two separate ones. Here is one more question related to the same page. In my quest to declutter it as much as I can, I have keyed many of the labels and am going with facing pages with fold-out flap.

On the first (left page), my directions followed by reference notes are on the top of the first braille page, and my transcriber's notes about the placement and layout of the diagram follow, and finally the key on the bottom of the first page, which face the diagram. So, I have no room for questions that should follow directions. Can I add to the TN on this first page that the questions begin on the page after the diagram? This will mean the student will have to flip back and forth between pages.
    Thanks, for all you help.
    Susan

Susan Baker
    Participant

I like your decision to use the new option of facing pages with a fold-out. I would not worry about the fact that the student will need to flip back and forth. I have seen many students read with two hands, left hand on the graphic and right hand reading the questions on the next page front underneath. No problem! It is more important that your key face the diagram.

The statement at the top of this page can just as well be formatted as a 3-1 narrative paragraph: "For questions 53-57, refer to the Luminosity and Temperature of Stars diagram below." Follow that paragraph with your notes, key, etc.

I think it is obvious that the questions follow the diagram--I see no reason to explain in a TN.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.