Dialogue dash before blank

Home Forums Foreign Language Dialogue dash before blank

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    crepemyrtle
    Participant

How would you braille the dashes in these two examples?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

I can't tell. You have copied from the actual print and I need to see the actual print in order to tell what is a dialog opening and what is a blank to fill in. I see a long dash and two hyphens.And I also see this

2. --¡______ and I don't know what that i is. Are the two hyphens meant to be the opening dialog dash?????? All I can offer here is a guess, not an answer.

See section 6.5 in the Interim Manual on dashes, especially dashes used as opening dialog marks. Consider sending a scan of the actual print. The only way to find an answer is based on what the actual print looks like, not the way it is interpreted to be copied with a keyboard.

Sorry I can't be of more help with what is in front of me here.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

I am so sorry that I can't send the actual print. In this case I am working with what I sent. I will try to describe it.

1. -- ____

This is a dialogue dash followed by a blank to fill in. It would be 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36 in braille.

2. --¡____

This is a dialogue dash followed by an inverted exclamation mark and a blank to fill in. It would be 36, 36, 6, 36, 36, 36, 36 in braille.

crepemyrtle
    Participant

My goodness. You use an i for an inverted exclamation point and you are asking me to know what you mean. I wish! Look at Section 6.5 as mentioned for general information about the dash and what spacing to use. Also see 9.4 Blanks to be filled for using the the double dash in contact with a dash shown preceding conversation, which I think is the situation you have as you describe it. See Section 14.20 Spanish for details about the spacing of the inverted exclamation and question mark. The dot sequcne you give is not correct. All those 36's! There is no way for the reader to easily discern the conversatiion from the blank to be filled. The solution is in the sections given.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.