DNA Strands and Mutation

Home Forums Tactile Graphics DNA Strands and Mutation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Please consider the attached diagrams showing information about DNA strands and mutation. In one, the student is asked to write the letters of the bases that belong on the bottom strand. The second image demonstrates a concept about mutation and asks the student to note what happens to one strand of DNA when there is a change in a base on the other strand. The final image compares normal and mutated DNA sequence and asks the student to determine what kind of mutation causes sickle cell disease.
    I will post this on both, the Math, Science, and Computer Notation and the Tactile Graphics board since I’m not sure of the best way to present this information to the student.
    Thanks for any assistance in this quest for an answer, and better yet, an example/sample.

Marie Amerson
    Georgia Braille Transcribers

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I've seen these DNA strands done in several ways in print and braille. I will attach a couple of examples of how you could approach them. Often, when there are several of these in a textbook, they shown a graphic for the first couple and then revert to using just the letters. Even if your book doesn't do this, if there are many of these strands, you could consider doing the same in braille with a TN of explanation. Since, the pattern of how they join varies from one book to another, I don't think that you have to replicate it exactly -- a simplified version (pointed and rounded) would be less cluttered and easier to read. I have also seen them done with the capital letter sign omitted (and described in a TN), to simplify the graphic.
    I didn't create these examples, but pulled them from some that have been done previously at my office.
    I have 3 pdf files to attach, and I'm not sure how many will fit within the allowable file size for posting. (If necessary, I will e-mail them to you privately.)
    Thanks for posting your question. I hope this helps ... Good luck!

Betty
    edited by betty.marshall on 3/19/2010

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Betty,
    where are your examples? I would like to see them too.
    Thanks,
    Martha

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

They were too large to attach. I will e-mail them to you as well.
    Betty

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Betty would you mind emailing your braille examples to me also?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

For those wishing to see these, send me a private message with an e-mail address to which I can send the examples.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Betty
    I would you email your braille examples to me also? But I don't know how to send you a private message.
    Please would you explain it to me?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

For those of you wanting DNA examples, I will forward them to you if you send me a private message with your e-mail address. In order to send a private message, make sure that you are signed into the forum, click on my blue, underlined name, (in the first column of one of the Tactile Graphics threads) and then click on Send Private Message (as shown in the attached screenshot below).
    In order to check messages that may have been sent to you, click on "my profile" (on the colored bar across the top of the forum) where you will find both an Inbox and a Sent Items.

I hope this sufficiently explains the process.
    Betty

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.