Dot 4 or not?

Home Forums Foreign Language Dot 4 or not?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am transcribing an instructional textbook with French as the single foreign language.

1. In the first scanned example please see sentence D. 5. Would the bold words be transcribed using French charaters? or would the dot 4 be used because it is in English context? Does 1.7b(1) apply here?

2. In the second example, please see 5 at the bottom of the page. Would the bold words be transcribed uncontracted with the dot 4? or should it be done using the French alphabet symbols?

joannavenneri
    Participant

1. Yes that is correct. The determining factor is language context. This is just a proper noun mentioned in passing, as it were, and those French words are not being studied here. Context.
    2. This is harder to explain. Even though the French is surrounded by English, the context here is still French. It's easier to see context in the bold French words in the text above because those words are actually being analyzed and studied. But in this sentence I believe the context is still French and the print provides the special typeface. I would use the emphasis and treat this phrase as French--no contractions and use accented letters.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Forgot to thank you for including the print. Expecially when trying to determine context, it's very important to see the whole thing!

--Joanna

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.