Dot locator – to use or not to use

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Dot locator – to use or not to use

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    anitamccraw611
    Participant

Technical Notation. I'm doing an Algebra book with  Mathematical symbols. I've use the dot locator before the individual symbol, do I need to use it again within the descriptive text?

kdejute

Anita, are you asking about a transcription using Nemeth Code within a UEB context? If so, then any mathematical symbols must be within Nemeth Code switch indicators, and a dot locator (which is a UEB tool) would not be appropriate or necessary.

If you're asking about a transcription using ONLY UEB (and no Nemeth Code), then you still probably do not need any dot locator symbols. Though, it's possible you could need a dot locator for use in front of "a braille symbol which has only lower dots and which is isolated from other text" – see Rules of UEB section 3.14.1. (The dot locator for mention is designed for symbols lists, transcriber's notes and publications about braille; see Rules of UEB section 3.13.1.)

Thank you for the question!
    –Kyle

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by kdejute. Reason: correction: "dot locator FOR MENTION" is designed for symbols lists, transcriber's notes and publications about braille
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Chris Clemens.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.