ELI Indicator clarity

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science ELI Indicator clarity

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nwbsbeth
    Participant

Hello, the current Guidance for Transcription Using Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts states:

13. In uncontracted Nemeth braille, the English Letter Indicator (ELI) is used wherever required by §24-§30 of the Nemeth Code. This would mean, for example, that multiple choice and exercise letters as well as single letter abbreviations would need the ELI.

So we would still use  the ELI before the yd, when used as an abbreviation for yard, correct?

Since we are no longer using contractions within the Nemeth statements, I'd like some clarity in the matter.   On one hand, there shouldn't be a contraction there anyway, but Section 26 refers to using ELI to avoid confusion with short-form letter combinations, so I presume we'd include the ELI. Am I right?  Thank you!

kdejute

Tabitha,

I know what I want to say, but I am checking with other brains in order to confirm. Thank you for the astute question and for your patience.

–Kyle

nwbsbeth
    Participant

I am still awaiting a confirmation.  Thank you!

kdejute

Thank you for the follow-up.

The answer has three parts:

1. "yd" is not a short-form combination and so would not require an ELI regardless.
    2. A short-form combination like "yr" (for "year") would need an ELI according to Nemeth Code
    3. If "yr" (or a similar abbreviation that corresponds to a short-form combination) were used within Nemeth Code switch indicators, then you are correct that we should use the ELI with it when it is in a "single letter" circumstance as defined by the Nemeth Code.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.