ELMP Double spacing in preliminary pages

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook ELMP Double spacing in preliminary pages

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lynna Landroche
    Spectator

When transcribing double spaced volumes, are the Special Symbols and Transcriber's Notes pages also double spaced?

BANA Guidelines for the Transcription of Early Educational Materials from Print to Braille, 1.4.1 says "Kindergarten and first grade: Double-space with the following exceptions: a. single-space title page and supplementary title pages." Braille format guidelines 1.7.2 says exceptions to double spacing includes "c. Single-space title pages and supplementary title pages." I understood that to mean only single-spacing the title page and supplemental title pages (when title page information runs over to braille page t2), and that the Specials Symbols and Transcriber's Notes pages should be double spaced like the rest of the volume.

However, I recently became aware of a workshop that Bonnie Read, whom I understand served on the ELMP committee, gave in Canada (can be found here: https://www.prcvi.org/resources/resources-for-braille-transcribers/webinars/transcription-of-early-educational-materials/) where she used the language "preliminary pages" instead of "title page and supplementary title pages" and then on the next slide of her PowerPoint defined preliminary pages as  "•Title page •Subsequent title page •Special Symbols Page(s) •Transcriber's Notes Page(s)". I attached a screenshot to show this.

I am hoping to clarify for certain whether or not Special Symbols and Transcriber's Notes pages are double spaced in a Kindergarten/First Grade book that is double spaced.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

I apologize for not replying sooner - our system glitched and this just popped up!

My understanding was that only the title page(s) were single spaced. But Bonnie Read wrote the rules 🙂 This confuses me as well. Just reading the guidelines, I would say only the title pages...and the guidelines are what we should follow.

Cindi

Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

Cindi,

Thank you for answering this but I am still a little confused. I need more clarification. Are the Special Symbols Pages and Transcriber's Notes Pages considered Title Pages? Do they need to be single or double spaced?

Thanks!

claurent

In my opinion, the guidelines are clear that only the title page and supplemental title page are single spaced. The special symbols page and transcribers notes page are double spaced.

Cindi

Lynna Landroche
    Spectator

Thank you so much Cindi! And Melissa. 🙂 That clarification was very helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.