Exercise questions

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Exercise questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello, I think I may be getting a little confused with the new bf rule for exercises. I have a lot of these types of questions that we do here:
    Ex:
    1. from "My Early Home"

What kind of a horse do you think the speaker will grow up to be?

A) He will ....
    B) ...
    C) ....
    D) ....

1. My question is do we use the rule on pg 10-5 sec. 10.3.3 Numbered or lettered directions 1-5 additional para 7-5 and subdivisions are in 3-5?
    2. Or is this treated as a three level: 1-7, 3-7, 5-7 as on pg 10-6 sect. 10.4.2?

I have been using the first one so far until I hear otherwise from you. The reason I have been using the first one is because I thought the answers should be in 3-5. 😉 Just want to get it right.

Thanks for your help.
    Tina

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Please send a print page. I have to see exactly how this looks in print.

Thanks.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

There are 2 different examples attached. This is what we usually get here as far as exercise questions.
    Thanks

joannavenneri
    Participant

Use 10.3.3 here. Don't you think that the Ex. 10=3 that follows looks EXACTLY like your first exercise? You have numbered or lettered directions with ADDITIONAL PARAGRAPHS. Note that 10.4.2 covers and exercise with subentries ONLY. There are no additional paragraphs.

Ex. 10-3 covers your first exercise exactly. The directions are 1-5, the answer choices are 3-5 and the additional paragraph (Use adjectives to describe ...) is 7-5.

Your second exercise is more complicated because it has an additional level. However, I think you can apply the same guidelines here. You have an 3 levels, so the runover is in cell 7. Item 4) from ... is in 1-7, although I doubt there would be a runover. The additional paragraph, Look at this.. is 9-7, the numbered items 1. 2. etc. are 3-7. The next additional paragraph is 9-7 and the lettered items A) B) are 5-7.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Joanna,
    I need to ask another question in regards to the level settings on this exercise question. I am talking about the last exercise question that I posted in the first attached example.
    To be consistent with all our subdivisions or (answers) for our main questions shouldn't they always have the same starting cell? Ex:
    cell 3 regardless of runover?
    A)
    B) ...

I attached another example to see if this one would also fall under the same settings.
    My thoughts on the first exercise question in the new attachment is:
    5) from ... set at 1-7 main item
    Read ... 5-7 sub-subdivision
    blank
    Louisa May Alcott ... is a displayed para so I should set this in a blocked 5-5 or para 7-5?
    blank
    Which part ... 5-7 sub-subdivision
    A) spending
    B) ... this is my subdivision (I was told that my answers are always the subdivision of my main) setting at 3-7

joannavenneri
    Participant

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been away attending the recent BANA meeting. Thank you for the additional print examples. I will be back shortly with a suggestion.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

This is an unusual print configuration in several respects, particularly in that the numbered items appear to be source information about the exercise item. In a case like this, I suggest establishing a format that is consistent and based on the guidelines and the reader will see that pattern.

The issue is not that the indentions are the same, but that the RUNOVERS are the same based on the number of levels. In the Louisa May Alcott situation I see a series of displayed paragraphs all on the same level. I think it best to keep this simple and since I personally read these paragraphs as being on the same level, the runovers and indentions will be the same. In this way, there are only two levels, the numbered and lettered items. The numbered item is 1-5 and the letter item is 3-5.

I like 10.7 for this. It deals with the displayed paragraphs in item 5 and the displayed poetry in item 6. The actual directions are blocked in cell 5 and the displayed paragraphs are in 7-5 with a blank line in between them. See Examples 10-3 and 10-4.

--Joanna

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.