Field Extension

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Field Extension

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

We say that E has degree n over F and write [E:F] = n if E has dimension n as a vector space over F.

Do you know whether there is a Braille symbol to use for the colon-like symbol in this Field-Theory expression?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I would say that if it looks like a colon, it probably is a colon. You would braille this colon unspaced, preceded by a punctuation indicator. I have, however, presented this question to a committee.

Dorothy (answering for Betty Marshall for the week)

dworthing
    Participant

Thank you dworthing. I've run into this symbol before, but only in isolated situations. This is the first entire chapter devoted to this operation I've seen.

dworthing
    Participant

Ooops. I think I forgot to finalize my answer. Yes, it is a colon, brailled unspaced but preceded by a punctuation indicator. The thing I would like to add is that the E requires an ELI because if you remove the grouping symbol the E would be a single letter. The F does not require an ELI because removal of the grouping symbol leaves the F next to the sign of comparison. Was that confusing?
    edited by dworthing on 5/13/2011

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.