First Page of Body Matter – Willie Sitton

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook First Page of Body Matter – Willie Sitton

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

I have a question about 2.12.1 in Braille Formats which says "The first item listed in the table of contents is generally considered the first page of the main body of the book".

My question is this: Is this a hard and fast rule or should the transcriber use discretion and common sense about where the first page of the main body falls based on the material?

Someone in my department pointed to the Instruction Manual for Braille Transcribing (UEB, 2015) 19.3a that says "If there is a table of contents, regard the first item listed as the first page of the body matter ..." It lacks the word "generally".

I defer to Braille Formats and The Rules of Unified English Braille over the Instruction Manual using the latter for example purposes mostly. Should the Instruction Manual be given as much weight as the other two?

dworthing
    Participant

The Instruction Manual is an excellent document, but it is not a code.  Braille Formats is a code and should always have precedence over the instruction manual.  If you have people working toward their certifications, the instruction manual is probably the best source for that one document 🙂

Cindi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘First Page of Body Matter – Willie Sitton’ is closed to new replies.