Greek letters in Special Symbols?

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Greek letters in Special Symbols?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shelley Mack
    Participant

A quick question from a friend: “In a UEB math transcription, are Greek letters (pi, etc) put on the special symbols page? We know they’re not included in Nemeth, but are they Special symbols in UEB Math?"

Thanks,

Shelley

kdejute

Thank you for the question, Shelley.

We think it is reasonable to believe that Greek letters "may be unfamiliar to the reader" (as BF2016 2.5.1 says). So, we would recommend including them on a Special Symbols Page.

I would recommend following the layout and wording given in Rules of UEB (RUEB) 4.5 to compose the SSP listings for any Greek letter.

–Kyle

Shelley Mack
    Participant

Thank you! I'll pass the information along.

Thanks,

Shelley

Shelley Mack
    Participant

I spoke too soon. Someone brought up Formats 2016 Appendix G saying to list math symbols. Does this mean ALL math symbols in a math book? +, -, =, etc.

Thanks,

Shelley

kdejute

There is no concrete answer to that question.

The portion of BF2016's Appendix G to which you refer would likely justify including all math symbols used in a volume.

Nonetheless, I would advise against it. I would at least leave out equals, plus, minus, and the multiplication cross.

Alas, Special Symbols Pages (what to include and what to call the entries) is so dependent on the actual content of the transcription as well as the experience of the reader that it is often as much art as science to create a Special Symbols Page.

–Kyle

Shelley Mack
    Participant

I agree wholeheartedly about the art of Special Symbols pages. I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,

Shelley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.