headings on continuation pages

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook headings on continuation pages

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Can a centered, cell 5 or cell 7 heading be on line one of a continution page if lines 24 and 25 of the previous page are not both blank? The new formats says headings may be on line one of a braille page, but it doesn't discuss continuation pages. The old rules made this distinction.

Thank you

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have conferred with Lynnette Taylor on this. The new braille page and the change of format to heading is easily read as the change in context that it is and therefore the heading is on line 1 of the new braille page when there is no running head. The blank line following the preceding material is implied and understood by the reader. The relevant new page factor is that it is a new braille page. Whether this new page is also a new print page or the continuation of the current print page is not relevant.
    edited by joannavenneri on 4/18/2013

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

So, if a list, paragraph, displayed material, attribution, etc. ends on line 25 of print page b46, a centered heading can be placed on line one of print page c46 (assuming no running heads)? I don't understand why the blank line following the preceding material is implied and understood in this situation, but not with a page change indicator.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Now you're asking about a list ending on line 25. That is a slightly different situation than regular text that ends on 25. Lynnette has suggested consulting Appendix C in Formats, which is all about blank lines. There's a section on page C-5 about blank lines and the page turn indicator. Try that and please let us know if that helps.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

I'm so sorry about being dense, but C-5 does not answer my question. The rules about blank lines before and after page change indicators are spelled out. The rules about continuation pages are not.

If page 46 of the text book has a list and page 47 starts with a centered heading, then I would braille the list, put in a page change indicator and then a blank line before the centered heading.

Suppose text book page 46 has a list followed by a centered heading on the same page. I braille the list and the last item in the list falls on braille line 25. Then the next braille page is a continuation page. Do I put the centered heading on line one or do I drop it down to line 2? In this situation there is no page change indicator. Using the old formatting rules, the centered heading would only be allowed on line one if the list had ended on line 23. Both line 24 and 25 needed to be blank for the centered heading to be allowed on line one of the continuation page. Actually it didn't make any difference it the centered heading followed a list, an attribution, a paragraph or anything else.

Lindy Walton

Because this discussion is becoming complex, I feel it is appropriate to do our discussing in private e-mail and if you wish, we can post the eventual resolution on this forum.

--Joanna

Lindy Walton

I am searching for an answer to this question as well. Why would line 1 of any page ever be blank in a transcription that does not use a running head? I would like to see a summary of page layout for transcriptions with no running heads. This topic has my head spinning.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Your head may be spinning Lindy, mine has already fallen off. There are circumstances where line one is left blank.

Look 8.3.4a of Braille Formats 2011. A list can start on line one IF there are two or more blank lines at the bottom of the previous page. Start the list on line 2 when braille is on the last, or next-to-last line of the previous page.

13.4.1d When a stanza ends on the last line of a braille page, a blank line is left at the top of the next braille page. The new stanza starts on line 2 when a running head is not used.

The two rules above are very clear and are for very specific situations. I braille a lot of books loaded with lists, boxes, various headings, and displayed material. Each of these items requires blank lines. It is very simple when they fall in the middle of a braille page, but things get complicated when one of these items begins at the beginning of braille page or ends on line 24 or 25 of a braille page. I am also confused by whether the new braille page is also a new print page or a continuation page. The formatting is often dependent on what preceeds the items and what follows. I'm going to try creating a some kind of visual chart outlining all of these situations to see if that will help convey my questions and help NBA provide clear answers. Stay tuned.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Yes, the two situations you cite are clearly stated and this makes them easy to remember and to follow with confidence. Thank you for pointing them out to us.

I think the situation that has many of us wondering is, do we leave line 1 blank on a new braille page (without a running head) when a "change of thought" new paragraph begins? [That is, if there is any braille on lines 24-25 of the preceding page, and the new paragraph uses the same cell pattern? such as 3-1] A print book would put centered asterisks (for example) at the top of a page to indicate a break in thought, even if centered asterisks were not used within a page to indicate such. What if displayed material begins at the top of a braille page and there is braille on the preceding page on line 24 or 25? Is the indented margin enough of a clue that this is displayed material? Or must line 1 be blank there as well?

A blank line 1 seems quite unobvious to me. Is it noticeable to braille readers? It is surely does not speak as loudly as a blank line *within a page. Regardless, we would all love to see a simple guideline we can turn to when faced with this layout which --as you say-- occurs far more frequently than one can imagine is possible.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.