Headings

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Headings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

See Attachment

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Regarding the first part of your question about breaking centered headings that fall on more than one line--the trasncriber decides what is balanced and logical. That is why these are called guidelines. I would look over all the examples of centered headings in Formats to get an idea of how balanced and logical headings might be determined.

As for the second question, connected headings refers to headings connected by concept and meaning, not necessarily physically connected in print. There is no boxed material in those headings. That is purely a decorative design. A box sets of text from surrounding text. There is nothing set off there.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

We have an additional question relating “Balanced” headings.

The current Braille format Guidelines no longer states to place the chapter/lesson number/letter on a braille line by itself when any of these headings is too long to fit on a single Braille line.

§ 4.4.1 States: “It is important to be consistent in the treatment of similar print headings throughout the entire transcription.”
    § 4.4.3 States: “Headings should be balanced and divided at a logical location when longer than one line.”
    § 4.4.3 appears to give the transcriber the authorization to make this structuring decision for balanced purposes. This is confirmed by the answer given in this thread back in 2012
    We believe segregating the chapter/lesson number to its own line is no longer necessary and can now be included with the balanced heading should the transcriber decide it so. , i.e., sample #2 found in the attached document. Is this correct?

Lucas Timpe
    Participant

I'm confused by this latest post. In your commentary you state that you have concluded that it is no longer to have chapter or section number on a line by itself.

I agree with you for the reasons you stated. Therefore, I don't understand the conclusion that you apparently reached, that sample #2 is the better choice. Sample #2 does indeed put the section number on a line by itself and I think the result is not particularly desirable. I would go with Sample #1.

--Joanna

Lucas Timpe
    Participant

I have a student that is being instructed by an outside source that his format in this situation is wrong. He needed validation from an outside source to legitimize his claim which you have done. Thank you for your help.
    edited by Lennie M on 10/1/2013

joannavenneri
    Participant

There's a little typo--it's actually 4.1.1 that refers to consistency. And if it might provide any further support to you and your student, this is interpreted to refer to consistency of structure, in context with the rest of that guideline. This means that once you have figured out the book, centered headings, cell-5 headings and so forth will be designated in braille in a consistent manner. It does not particularly refer to balancing centered headings. As you rightly suggest, that old rule about the chapter number on a line by itself is gone, gone, gone!

I'm very glad to have been of any help.

--Joanna

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.