Letter Modifiers and Proofreading Marks

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Letter Modifiers and Proofreading Marks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

Question #1

UEB: When letter modifiers are used in a pronunciation key in a volume should those modifiers also be listed on the symbols page? Section 21.8 in Braille Formats indicates they would not be, but with UEB and the "mention" indicator as well as these symbols being new to people switching to UEB I wondered if they should appear elsewhere with the mention indicator for identification purposes.

Question #2

UEB: Proofreading Marks--Braille Formats Section 18. Two part question:

18.6.2e. Each proofreader’s mark in the text is assigned a numeric key, e.g.,

Should these numeric symbols still be used or should one use the transcriber defined symbols found in 3.26 in UEB?

18.6.2d. When proofreading marks pertain to more than one word, place the keyed mark before the first word, and a spaced termination indicator (6, 3) after the final word. ...

When this situation occurs what should be used for the termination symbol as this is now used to terminate capitalization?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by claurent.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by claurent.
    claurent

Question 1:  The modified letters WILL need to be on the Special Symbols page as well as in the pronunciation key.  Just the symbols are listed - the letters the symbols modify should not be on the Special Symbols list.  And yes, the dot locator should precede those symbols.

Question 2:

Part 1 - use a numeric or letter key as before.

Part 2 - when you define the letter or number in the key listing, state what it applies to.  You can no longer use the terminator indicator as a terminator...it would conflict with other UEB symbols.

Cindi

Mary Mosley
    Participant

Thank you Cindi

Melissa Klepper

I am so confused. Can you please tell me how you would handle something very simple?

I am looking at Braille Formats 18.6.4 and trying to apply this to UEB.

18.6.4 Carets. Use a spaced caret symbol, 95 (35, 26), when a caret (^) indicates an insertion is to be made.
    a. When print includes the insertion text, it is preceded by a spaced caret and followed by a spaced termination indicator  (6, 3). The caret and termination indicator must be on the same line(s) as the first and last words, respectively, of the inserted text.

Question:

Do we still use the caret for insertions in UEB text? See my attachment please. Would I use the UEB caret? If so, How would I terminate it?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

You would use the symbol for a caret (dots 4, 26) to represent the print caret showing insertion.  If you have a phrase, you would enclose the phrase in base grouping indicators (dots 126 for opening and dots 345 for closing).  The base grouping indicators will likely need grade 1 indicators in front of them.  This use must be explained in a transcriber's note somewhere and the symbols must be on the Special Symbols page (or in a tn at the site).

Cindi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.