line continuation indicator and “standing alone” in URLs

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical line continuation indicator and “standing alone” in URLs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rsherwood12
    Participant

Hello,

When the line continuation indicator is used in a URL, does it affect whether the preceding or following symbols-sequences are considered to be standing alone? For example:

https3_/_/www4nextav5ue4org_/sell+-"
    y\r-home-f9.e-yr-retire;t-life/yle_/4

https3_/_/www4nextav5ue4org_/sell+-y\r"
    -home-f9.e-yr-retire;t-life/yle_/4

In either case, does the line continuation indicator between the hyphen preceding or following the word "your" prevent the use of the shortform for "yr"?
    Thanks,
    Rebecca

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by rsherwood12.
    kdejute

Rebecca,

Thank you for the question.

According to the text of 2.6 in the Rules of UEB, if "your" is preceded or followed by the line continuation indicator, then the word is *not* standing alone. This is because no part of 2.6 in the Rules of UEB allows for the line continuation indicator. In other words, to the best of our understanding, because the line continuation indicator is not currently explicitly identified as something that allows a word to be standing alone, a word before or after a line continuation indicator is not standing alone.

This is a very fine rule distinction, so it is unlikely that contracting "your" would mislead the reader. But, as I said above, according to a very close reading of the rule as it is written today, the line continuation indicator would prevent the use of the shortform "yr" in your example.

–Kyle

rsherwood12
    Participant

Thanks much! I'm glad for the confirmation that I was not missing any kind of update or alternative reading to the rules re: standing alone.

Best,
    Rebecca

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.