List within itemized material

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science List within itemized material

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a list occurring within a test question. It is not a multiple choice question and is itemized material without subdivisions. I know the Nemeth rule is that displayed material, occurring in itemized material without subdivisons, should start in cell 5 with any runovers in cell 7.

I know the rules from Braille Formats for lists say each list item starts in cell 1 with runovers in 3.
    I considered this text in the test question as a list since each item begins with a bullet.
    So do I braille this list within the test questions as a list. Or do I treat it as displayed material in Nemeth and start each item in cell 5?
    Thanks for your help.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

It really helps us to help you if we can see a picture of your actual print page. Could you attach such a picture? Thanks.

dworthing
    Participant

I looked back at the test questions I have, and there is actually 1 with a list in it that has subdivisions and one with a list that's not multiple choice. I'll attempt to attach them both here. Thanks.

betty.marshall
    Participant

Thank you for posting an example for us to refer to. My personal preference is to show bulleted items in list format preceded and followed by a blank line. However, since I have seen other transcribers display this type of material, I would like to consult with other committee members before giving you a definite answer. Thanks for your patience.
    Betty

betty.marshall
    Participant

It seems that neither Braille Formats, nor the Nemeth Code have definitive rules regarding this type of situation. Transcriber preferences in this regard also differ. They seem to agree that a blank line is required before and after, but some feel that the "list" should be indented to the position of the question runover (cell 5/7 for question1 above, and 3/5 for question 2) while others feel they should all be shown at the margin in 1/3. Be sure to check with the agency for whom you are transcribing first, but otherwise, just be consistent throughout the transcription with whatever decision you make.

Betty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.