Listing Nemeth Code Terminator and Single-word Switch on SS page

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Listing Nemeth Code Terminator and Single-word Switch on SS page

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Klepper

Can you please explain the requirement to include (Nemeth Code symbol) after the Nemeth Code Terminator? According to the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts, we are required to insert "(Nemeth Code symbol)" following the definitions of the 1. Nemeth Code terminator & 2. Single-word switch indicator. (I understand why it is needed after the Single-word switch indicator) It just seems ambiguous to repeat it for the Nemeth Code Terminator. Am I reading this correctly? Are we to list the symbol on the Special Symbols page as: Nemeth Code terminator _: (Nemeth Code symbol). Since it already specifies Nemeth Code, I wonder why we have to put it in parentheses and repeat it again. There is no mention of adding the phrase after the Opening Nemeth Code indicator. Can you please help clarify this to me? I'm sure there is a logical explanation but I'm not seeing it and just need help understanding the requirement.

kdejute

Melissa,

Certainly you are not the only person who has this question. I think I can offer some insight.

Unlike the other symbols on a Special Symbols page, the Nemeth Code terminator and the single-word switch indicator are Nemeth Code symbols. Everything else is a UEB symbol. (Okay, if the Special Symbols page includes a category of “Nemeth Horizontal Number Line Symbols” then not eeeverything else on that Special Symbols page is a UEB symbol, but you know what I mean.)

Although, it seems obvious that the "Nemeth Code terminator" is a Nemeth Code symbol, it might not be so obvious when you consider that the "opening Nemeth Code indicator" is a UEB symbol. So, on the Special Symbols page, we explicitly label the Nemeth Code terminator and the single-word switch indicator with the parenthetical "(Nemeth Code symbol)".

I hope that helps in some way!
    –Kyle

P.S. The opening Nemeth Code indicator is a UEB symbol; it happens when UEB is the code in effect.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.