Lowercase Roman numeral print page numbers

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Lowercase Roman numeral print page numbers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ed Godfrey
    Participant

Following is a list of print page numbers that appear at the top of consecutive braille pages in Volume 1:

i ai bi aii bii cii iii-vii viii-ix aix ax xi-xiii axiii bxiii axiv bxiv cxiv axv xvi-xvii axvii bxvii

Which of these lowercase Roman numeral page numbers require the "Grade 1 Indicator" in UEB?

Thanks ...

-Ed

claurent

This is a good question. Technically, none of them do. However, there needs to be distinction between the continuation indicators and the roman numerals. The suggested practice is to put the grade 1 indicator between the lettered continuation indicator and roman numeral.

Cindi

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Cindi, Hi Ed,

You say "technically" but then add "distinction." If technically correct why a distinction? Braille 2000 UEB version WILL NOT let me add the gr.1 indicator in any way I know of (unless perhaps I do a "Page Numbering Layout" for each page, which is very tedious for 70+ p-pages). It appears that Braille 2000 takes "technically" to mean that "letter signs" are not necessary and will not allow the "distinction" to  be made. This could be problematic If I submit volumes w/o the indicators and proofreaders say they are needed, I won't be able to add them and will have to stand on the argument that "technically they are not needed."

Does anyone else have this situation?

thanks,
    Fred

claurent

After much discussion, this decision has been changed.  Follow the UEB rules for grade 1 indicators...meaning that ax (continued page x) does not need any grade 1 indicators.

Cindi

Lynda
    Spectator

I guess the chance of getting to continuation page ix is kind of slim but is it impossible?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Lynda.
    claurent

Sure, anything is possible.  However, the context of this usage would make it clear for the reader.

Cindi

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.