Measurements in Nemeth within UEB

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Measurements in Nemeth within UEB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    LaVerne Blaasse
    Participant

Hello,

I was at the NBA Conference in Oct 2017, I took the Nemeth within UEB Context course. In the booklet for that class it states that if a unit of measurement is not abbreviated it should not be included within the Nemeth code switches - Ex. 14.3 units. Well, for those who did not attend the conference they are questioning that rule since the last update they have is from BANA - Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Context Approved June 2016, which states even if it is abbreviated or not it should be in the Nemeth switch. Is there anything available where I can show them, other than my conference booklet, that BANA has updated this to reflect the changes on this. Thanks so much!!

kdejute

LaVerne,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation here. Many of us are encountering the same scenario.

Honestly, I jumped the gun. The NBA workshop "Nemeth within UEB Contexts, Parts 1 & 2" and its examples were written based on a preview of coming updates to the Guidance for Transcription Using Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts; and those proposed updates have still not been approved and published by BANA.

So, officially, all we have to go by is the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts Approved June 2016, which says that whether a unit of measure is abbreviated or not it should be in the Nemeth switch indicators.

The updates on which the workshop "Nemeth within UEB Contexts, Parts 1 & 2" was based are up for discussion at BANA's April board meeting, and we fervently anticipate the official publication of the version of the Guidance on which this workshop was based. Until that time, the workshop and the Guidance are out of sync. Upcoming NBA workshops, webinars, and publications on using the Nemeth Code within UEB contexts will be in sync with the officially published Guidance.

Again thank you for your question. Thank you also for your understanding.

–Kyle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.