Name and address in all caps

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Name and address in all caps

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    two-three-six
    Participant

Hello,

I've been working with business letters that have the recipient's address, in all caps, at the beginning. For example:

GRETA BO BETA

125 CHERRY TREE LANE

CHICAGO, IL 60652

What capital indicators should I use? In reference to 8.5.5 of the Rulebook, I'm not sure if the name, street, and city/state would all be considered separate text elements.

Thanks, Greta

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi Greta,

This is a great question! I am consulting with others to provide an answer for you.

Braille on,

Julie

two-three-six
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Julie!  Now I'm questioning a couple more things--suddenly capitalized passages are throwing me for a loop.

In the attached menu items file, for the Appetizer list, I think I should treat that as a continuous passage, with three dot 6's in front of each line starting with kale, and a cap passage terminator after grilled pepperoni pizza.

For the items under Side Dishes, I think I should NOT treat them as a continuous passage, and should capitalize them separately.

Would you agree?

Thanks again,

Greta

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi Greta,

I'll address the menu first. Yes, according to a UEB expert, the appetizer list would best be capitalized as a passage with multiple elements, as described in UEB 8.5.5. I agree that the side dishes are individual items, like a table of contents.

I'm still working on your earlier question about fully capitalized addresses. The UEB Committee is baffled, too! I'm sending it up the chain and will let you know what I find out as soon as I can.

Braille on,

Julie

two-three-six
    Participant

Great, thanks for the information, Julie! And it's comforting to know I'm not alone in my confusion about the address 🙂

Greta

two-three-six
    Participant

I have 2 more menu questions. I want to make sure I have everything correct so I can explain it to my co-workers.

1. With a capitalized passage which extends over more than one text element, if the last text element is only 1 or 2 words, is it still ok to use the capital passage terminator after that element? Or would I terminate the last element that has 3 or more words, and use capital word indicators from that point on? In the attached pdf, FRESH BROCCOLI is the last element in the list. It seems wrong to have a capitalized passage indicator and terminator around 2 words, but maybe in the context of the continuous passage, that is correct.
    2. For a continuous passage that only has one or two word elements, should I just use all capital word indicators, not capital passage/terminators? In the pdf, the CRUSTS and SAUCES lists are what I'm wondering about.

Thank you!

Attachments:
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi Greta,

1. You've brailled this correctly. The passage begins with REDSKIN and ends with BROCCOLI. The number of symbols-sequences within each element is irrelevant. After the first line, the passage indicators are not starting new passages, but are telling the reader that capitals are continuing.
    2. I think I know what to do for the crusts, and I might know what to do for the sauces, but let me verify first.

Braille on,

Julie

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi Greta,

I have an answer for you about the fully capitalized addresses at last! Here is the recommendation from a top UEB expert: Consider each line as a text element in this case. Precede each line with the cap passage indicator, putting it before the number at the beginning of the second line because it is continuing an ongoing passage.  (If the passage started on that line, the indicator would be placed before CHERRY.)  Place the cap terminator after IL, before the zip code, in the third line.

BTW, postal codes in Canada are mixes of numbers and letters so the last line might be CONCORD ON L4K 5N2 and the cap terminator would follow the 2 for better readability.

Braille on,

Julie

two-three-six
    Participant

Thanks for the answer, Julie! I appreciate your help very much!

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

... And for the lists of crusts and sauces, there are a number of legitimate ways to handle them. I've attached a BRF file with some options. My vote, and that of the UEB expert mentioned above, is to use capital word indicators throughout.

Braille on,

Julie

Attachments:
    two-three-six
    Participant

Got it. Thanks for the info and the brf file, Julie!

Best wishes,

Greta

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.