Nemeth Code Terminator with Embedded Vertical Grouping

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth Code Terminator with Embedded Vertical Grouping

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Charles Mize
    Participant

I have attached a page from a textbook.  A red rectangle is drawn around the subject of this question.

I am unsure where to place the Nemeth Code terminator in the embedded vertical grouping.

There are no closing grouping indicators, so my guess is that the terminator would go in cell 1 following the spatial math.  I have shown what that looks like in the attached pdf as choice #1.

In choice #2, I show the same problem with the Nemeth Code terminator placed on the top line of the grouping and aligned to enclose the entire construction.  In choice #3, I show the Nemeth Code terminator placed with one cell separating the material on the top line from the code switch indicator.

Which of these three choices is the best representation of the text? Or is there another suggestion?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Charles, it seems your pdf file is too large to upload into this forum. I'll see if I can find out what the maximum file size is.

Lindy

Charles Mize
    Participant

I didn't see that the extracted page exceeded the file size.  See the new attachment.

The system in question is enclosed in a red rectangle.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Since this system is embedded, not displayed, choice #2 follows the rules as I understand them. The system is a spatial arrangement, which is why the spacing must be adjusted so there is no braille symbol in the vertical "column" before and after the arrangement -- that is, cells 11 and 25 must be blank on the two lines. This eliminates choice #3. Choice #1 is tempting since it seems like it might be easier or clearer to read, but there is no rule that says we should start a new line for that reason.

Hope that helps.
    Lindy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.