Nemeth in UEB: Section number with decimal point.

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth in UEB: Section number with decimal point.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

In the example on page 65 of your Discourse on Nemeth within UEB Context, you show  a section number, 1.3 Angular ... in UEB and not nemeth. In a current transcription this is used frequently, but then in the text of the paragraph other examples of the same are used, for example "1.2 billion years (CYA)", and elsewhere just 1.4 billion, 1.3 billion, etc.

Q: if the section number is in UEB what about the other designations where the same format is used? I thought it might be in different context, the section # in literary and the time reference in Nemeth and so one would be UEB and the other Nemeth. What is your take on this?

Also, could you send me a link where I can download the publication first mentioned? I can't recall where I got it and can't locate it; the last 2 pages of my document were lost.

Thanks, Fred

kdejute

Fred,

Thank you for your post.

First, titles for figures, tables, sections, etc. are transcribed in UEB. See #3 under Additional Guidelines in the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts. But decimals are transcribed in Nemeth Code. See #3.a under Basic Guidance on When to Switch in the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts.

Second, I do not understand your reference. I presented a workshop called "Discourse on Nemeth within UEB Context" in October 2016 at the NBA conference in St. Louis, Missouri. I presented a workshop called "Nemeth within UEB Contexts, Parts 1 & 2" last year (October 2017 at the NBA conference in Orlando, Florida).

I will present an updated version of the workshop "Nemeth within UEB Contexts, Parts One & Two" this year (October 24-26, 2018 at the NBA conference in Detroit, Michigan). Examples similar to the one you referenced are included in that workshop. After this year's conference, the most up-to-date "Nemeth within UEB Contexts, Parts One & Two" will be available to purchase from NBA. Possibly, a version of the workshop "Discourse on Nemeth within UEB Context" will also be available to purchase.

Have I answered your question?

–Kyle

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Yes, thank you, Fred

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.