Nemeth passage starting with two colons

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Nemeth passage starting with two colons

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CarmenG
    Participant

For a UEB/Nemeth project, how would I transcribe     ::/128    (colon, colon, slash, 128)   This is for a computer science book and it would be technical materal transcribed in Nemeth Code.  I'm just at a loss on how to start with the colons.

Thanks for your help!

Carmen

Lindy Walton

Hi Carmen. The Nemeth Code does not address computer notation. In a UEB transcription, if the print is "computer notation" as defined in Section 17.1 of the UEB Guidelines for Technical Material, then follow the directions in that section (Section 17, Computer Notation), even in a Nemeth/UEB transcription.

Your example would be transcribed like this:
    33_/#ABH

You might like to read the post from December 20-23, 2019, titled "computer notation" in the Unified English Braille Technical section of this Ask An Expert forum.

Lindy

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Lindy Walton.
    CarmenG
    Participant

Hi Lindy and thank you!

Lindy Walton

FYI, I have corrected my original post. I thank Kyle DeJute for her knowledge of UEB-Technical.

The reason a grade 1 indicator is NOT needed for ::/128 is because when we get to the slash, it becomes impossible that the preceding cell of dots 25 could represent any contraction, and once that is established, it then becomes impossible that the first cell of dots 25 could be any contraction [because both the "con" and the "cc" contractions must be followed "by a letter, a contraction, a modified letter or a ligatured letter"].

Please address further questions about computer language to the UEB Technical forum.
    Thank you.
    Lindy
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.