Number lines

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    smart_10357
    Participant

Hi,

I am formatting a second grade math book. There are number lines.

0-15 My page is not long enough. I cannot find an example or a continuation indicator in the Guidelines book. Also most of these problems do not need 0-15 number line. Some need like a 5-15 or 10-9 number line. Is it ok to shown only the part of the number line that is needed? These number lines shown in the book are blank but want the student to show the work.

Thanks,

Susan

• This topic was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by smart_10357.
    kdejute

Susan,

I hear you! Zero to fifteen is a wide number line!

In short, runovers of number lines begin in cell 3 (with the initial line of the number line starting in cell 1), with a tick mark beginning the runover line; no continuation indicator should be used.

You probably already know, but please let me state: line graphics (NOT braille dots) should be used for all number lines in a 2nd grade transcription.

Those guidelines are from the BANA 2022 Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, which have been approved by the BANA Board and are now being carefully prepared for general distribution.

Please let us know if you need anything more or different!

–Kyle

smart_10357
    Participant

Thanks Kyle,

I spent some time this morning reading Guidelines for early education and Guidelines for tactile graphics. So thank you for the information anyway!

smart_10357
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

Could we have a discussion about this? I would rather have it off line if possible. My email is smart_10357@msn.com

Thanks,

Susan

kdejute

Susan,

I'm glad we took the opportunity to communicate directly and look more closely at some of the number lines you have in front of you.

A very short summary of our discussion might be: Keep any number line that gives unique information, but do not reproduce multiple blank number lines that are exactly the same for a non-consumable book.

–Kyle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.