Numeric and Alphabetic Print Page Numbers on combined pages

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Numeric and Alphabetic Print Page Numbers on combined pages

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

Braille Formats Rule 1.13.1f says to include both alphabetic page numbers when combined page numbers are used, e.g., 8-9
    and eight-nine.

If you have combined pages and only the last Alphabetic Print Page Number is shown in print, do you braille both of the alphabetic page numbers or just what is shown in print?

If you have combined pages and both Alphabetic Print Page Numbers are shown in print, would these be correct? What concerns me is the hyphen being used to combine the pages with already hyphened text.

(See Combined Pages Example 1 in attached file)

Do you have to explain this format on the Transcriber’s Note page? I know in the BANA Braille Code Update 2007 you did, but Braille Formats 2011 does not say anything about needing a TN.

Also in Braille Formats Rule 1.10.8 Combined Print Page Numbers. When the first page of text does not begin with a page numbered as i, I, or 1, or has some other logical sequence of numbers, a combined print page number is inserted to account for the preceding pages.

a. The Initial roman or Arabic number is combined with the number of the page on which the text section actually begins, e.g., i-v, I-V, or 1-5, and this combined page number is placed at the right margin. If lettered continuation pages are required, they carry only the number of the page on which the text section actually occurs, e.g., av, aV, or a5.

If you have a combined page that is the first page of text, Table of Contents pages “iv-v”. Would you handle the blank pages/implied pages (i-iii) as followed?

(See Combined Pages Example 2 in attached file)

On the title page of Volume 2, would we show the combined print pages as followed? Again, the number of times the hyphen is used concerns me.

(See Combined Pages Example 3 in attached file)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

I'll try to answer your questions in the order in which they were asked:

Follow print; so only put the alphabetic numbers that actually appear in print.

Yes, what you did is correct...the student will follow based on context and the hyphens are fine.

A TN is not required, but if you feel it would help the student, include one.

No.  I would put i-v.

If I missed something, let me know!  🙂

Cindi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.