Omissions

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Omissions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Cindi,

I have a UEB math workbook with 2 different omissions. A blank line and a blank space are used in print.

1. Is is necessary to distinguish between them? BF 10.6.1 instructs us to use 3 dot 5s for blanks but the differences are not identified in print as to their use. I would prefer to use the underscore for both. I've included 2 sets of examples. The first set shows parentheses with a blank space between them using 3 dot 5s.
    2. Should a grade 1 indicator be used between the last of the 3 dots and the parenthesis?
    3. Also, when print shows a space between the parentheses is the blank space shown in braille?

I get different opinions from different proofreaders on these questions and would appreciate some guidance as to which is preferred. In case the copied braille doesn't show properly I've attached a .doc file.

Parenthesis ( )   ,P>5!SIS "<"""">

Parenthesis S(  )  ,P>5!SIS ,S"<"""">

------------------

A)  f(2) =

B)  f(-3) =

C  f(x) = 8, so x = __

,A"> F"<#B"> "7 """

;,B"> F"<"-#C"> "7 """

;,C"> F"<X"> "7 #H1 S ;X "7 .-

Thanks, Fred

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

Are you doing these in UEB (using UEB technical for the math) or in Nemeth within a UEB context?

Cindi

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

This is UEB technical math. I wasn't sure if this should be posted in that forum since it's also a formatting question.

Fred

claurent

Sorry - I see now that this information was in your original email.  I am not an expert on UEB Technical, but it seems you should be using the symbols in section 3.6 of the Guidelines for Technical Materials...there is a visible space symbol used for an omission that has no print symbol (dots 346).  I do not believe the three dot 5s would be appropriate here.  I would also suggest you post this in the UEB Math forum for confirmation.

Cindi

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Thanks Cindi, I'll post there.

Fred

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.