Omit Write-on Lines after Expressions?

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Omit Write-on Lines after Expressions?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    axs.brl
    Participant

I am volunteering with a TVI and was given a "basic" set of worksheets to braille. Half of the sheets are to be done in linear format. If there are write-on lines after the math expressions, should they be left off per BF2016 sec. 10.5.1?

Lindy Walton

In a Nemeth transcription, omissions in a math problem are to be shown. If an omission is printed as a "write-on line", the Nemeth long dash is transcribed. For example, in 12 + 7 = __ is transcribed like this:

_% #12+7 .K ---- _:

Does this answer your question? If not, could you attach an example of the worksheet?

Lindy

axs.brl
    Participant

This is the most recent worksheet. I asked about leaving off the blank lines because the Nemeth terminator won't fit after the equation. In previous worksheets the minuend was in single digits so there wasn't a problem. Leaving off the write-on lines would allow the terminator to fit on the same line as the final problem.

The print worksheet shows the equations written vertically, but the TVI asked me to change the format to linear. The sample file she sent as a template is formatted like the attachment.

Lindy Walton

Unfortunately we are not able to open DXB files in this forum. Please save it as a BRF file and I will be able to see it. Thanks.

axs.brl
    Participant

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize I needed to send a .brf.

I left a blank line before the problem set and started each problem in cell 1 per section 3.20 of the provisional course from the NFB's website. I put the Nemeth terminator on the same line as the last equation and answer line. Is this right?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Your formatting looks fine. The switch indicators are in a good place. I would suggest numbering the braille pages (in the lower right-hand corner).

I see one little error: You need to correct the numeral 4 in #21.

Thank you for your question.

Lindy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.